Wednesday, September 24, 2008

FEVER - Day TWO

The last two days have pretty much sucked at the George household.
Monday afternoon, Colby came back from daycare all frumpy and grouchy. He had no appetite and only ate two bites of his dinner. Sean left about 7pm to go to the airport to pick up his mom, so I had the honor of doing dinner, cleanup and bathtime for Colby while managing Owen as well. I noticed that as I was helping Colby get undressed for his bath that he seemed REALLY hot, but I didn't have a thermometer handy and so I went ahead and gave him his bath. Before bedtime I checked his temperature and it was up to 103 and so I gave him some tylenol and put him to bed. We didn't have any Motrin on hand and I wish we would have because the tylenol didn't do crap for him. I was up off and on with him all night and his temperature didn't go below 100. Poor baby was was crying and miserable and HOT HOT HOT. On Tuesday morning, his temperature was right at 99 so I thought he was doing better, but decided to keep him home from school just in case. Towards the end of Tuesday afternoon, things started going downhill again and the cranky grouchy Colby returned and so did his fever. His temperature was at 102 and so I sent Sean to the store to get some Motrin. At 6pm, Colby got some Motrin and two hours after that his temperature went down again. I had meant to wake up at midnight or so to check him but you know how it goes.. My sleep cycles are already screwed up having a newborn in the house, so of course I didn't wake up until about 3am. I went and checked on Colby and his temperature had gone back up to 102 !!! So he got another dose of Motrin and of course he was wide awake by now and wouldn't go back to sleep. **Sigh** So no sleep for mommy TWO Nights in a row.

So this morning Sean checks his temperature and it was NORMAL and Sean offered to take him to daycare. Our daycare's policy is that they have to be fever-free for 24 hours before they can come back. I knew this, I repeated to Sean, but I also had a lunch today with my boss that I didn't want to miss. So again, I was a baaaaaaaaad mommy and against my better judgement I gave in and told Sean yes and off to daycare Colby went. BUT I KNEW they would end up calling me before the day was over and at 12:30 they DID.. Colby had a 100.7 temperature, but he had already gone down for his nap so we decided to let him sleep at school. After his nap was over, they called me again to tell me that his temp had gone up to 103 and to come pick him up immediately. Wonderful! Fabulous!! (and a few other explicatives came out of my mouth). I then called Sean and told him.. "I TOLD YOU SO!!"

So Colby came home early and will be at home tomorrow as well. And if his fever continues tonight and thru the morning, we will be heading to the doctor tomorrow as well.

It seems like I'm just going to have a FABULOUS birthday tomorrow (**sarcasm**). And as I'm feeling a little selfish right now, I am a little bummed at the fact that I will have to cancel my birthday lunch tomorrow with Sean, his mom and some of my co-workers because Colby will be home sick. :( I was looking forward to it.

But, oh well.. that's life with kids I guess. And as a mom I tend to get over my selfish periods pretty quick these days. Especially when my adorable little boy smiles at me even when he's feeling miserable.

1 comment:

Karen Murdy said...

Feel better soon Colby!!!