Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Corporate America - Part 1

Another benefit to having a blog is having the ability to write down your work related rants in one place. The idea is to vent all your frustrations out in a productive manner so that you don't go postal on your co-workers. That in itself just isn't a good idea these days. Speaking of going postal... when I first graduated from college and started working in corporate america, the guy with the office next door to me, let's call him 'Bob', used to scare the crap out of me. Here I was barely legal to drink alcohol and in my first 'professional' job. I would be sitting in my office and I would hear this constant banging from the office next door. This was then usually followed by a slew of curse words, followed by more banging of things. I always thought that Bob was going to go postal on us and since I had the office right next door, I was gonna be the first one to be taken out. It was crazy. Bob never went postal and I survived working in corporate america. But anyways, I digress...

So I'm sitting here at my desk 'trying' to work but instead wanting to RANT. People annoy me. There.. I said it. People don't just ANNOY me, they piss me off and make me want to throw things at them at times. I have been in the corporate world now for almost 11 years and it never ceases to amaze me that people no matter WHAT their age, still fundamentally act like they did in high school. I though the whole point of growing up was to leave those antics behind.. to better yourself.. to move on and GROW up. There is a certain manager here that seriously reminds me of my two year old son at times. You wouldn't believe the amount of times he uses the word 'MINE' in referring to 'his' build, 'his' environment, 'his' code, 'his' developers, 'his' this or 'his' that.. Images of a little boy stamping his foot and jumping up and down going 'MINE MINE MINE' comes to mind. It's just hysterical at times. If you have never experienced corporate america first hand, no worries.. Just think about how the environment was at most high schools. There are always cliques. You have your 'Geeks' (engineers and programmers), you have your 'Jocks' (Cowboy programmers and Mr. Fixers), you have your 'Cheerleaders' (also known as contractor pimps.. these are the girls that represent the contracting firms that supply the contractors... you know the type.. the 'FAKE' girls with the big boobs and the FAKE smiles), you have the 'Suck-Ups' and you have the ones that will stab you in the back in a heartbeat. I'm sure there are a few other types that I've failed to mention here, but you get the point. I swear it is just like being back in high school again... and I *hated* high school. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and I like 'most' of the people I work with... its just that there are ALOT of people here who annoy the hell out of me and since I'm no longer pregnant I can't get away with throwing things at them anymore. Thankfully, I have you faithful reader, to rant and rave to.. to keep me from throwing things at my co-workers and to help me keep my mouth shut when I need to. Stay Tuned.. more work rants coming at you soon.

6 comments:

keoni said...

I can completely relate. I have a boss who uses "you're fired" with a drop of a hat. I think he watched too many episodes of Donald Trump's "The Apprentice".

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny that you categorize the cliques by job types.

I think the real cliques are by more personality related:

Class Clowns = keep everyone happy & smiling while barely doing enough to keep from being fired.

Jocks = like to pretend that they're the super-stars; they sometimes get stuff done, but for the most part, they have management snowed into thinking they're indispensable despite the fact that they are more image than substance

Super-Popular = those that may or may not get a lot of work done. However, they have their noses stuck so far up management's ass that they are always in the know & never seem to get any of the shit work.

Dorks = they lack strong work skills and have poor people skills.

Geeks = the people who get stuff done & don't need praise every minute of the day for it.

That's just my take on it...

Mel said...

O Bel, that's too funny. I worked in the same type of places for many years. Now I deal with a two year old all day, so you see, things have not changed much! LOL! Hopefully you can get through anther day, one at a time you know! Keep blogging and ranting away....we are here to listen! Love ya!

Tammy said...

I'm sorry I am laughing, but I am. I actually miss this stuff sometimes! I know, I'm crazy! But it's like you're in the middle of a TV show sometimes and it is just funny. Okay, it's sad too. We all do need to grow up. Grow up, people!

Tammy said...

PS- What type are you? The cheerleader, right? ;)

keoni said...

Bel is a rock star at work. Of course, that's just my opinion. Good thing I'm not management. If I was, this comment would make me a suck up == Super-Popular. That would be ironic since I was a nobody back in high school. Look at me now cheerleaders!