Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Battle of Wills

Over the last week or so we've noticed a total change in Colby. It seems like our sweet, loving, gentle boy has been replaced with his evil, bratty, stubborn twin. Yep... I think the 'Terrible Twos' are finally sinking in. Colby has been saying 'I do it MYSELF' for everything for a while now but now his latest is: 'I DONT WANNA DO '{Insert Action}'. (ex: 'I don't wanna nap', 'I don't wanna take a bath', 'I don't wanna get out of the bath', 'I don't want you to change my pull up', 'I don't wanna get up'..etc.etc. you get the point).

Last night, Colby was particularly nasty. I don't know if it was the time change or the fact that it was Monday, but he was REAAAALLY crabby. When we got home at the end of the day, Colby had an accident and peed all over himself. So we took off his underwear and shorts and cleaned him up. When Sean was ready to put a pull-up on him, Colby took off running screaming and crying and yelling.. 'I DONT WANT A PULLUP ON!!!'. After repeated attempts to get him to stop running, Sean ended up dragging him to our time-out spot and ended up having to hold down a kicking and screaming little boy in order to put his pull-up on. (Not to mention the fact that the same little boy got popped a few times from Daddy when he wouldn't stop kicking and screaming). And as if this wasn't bad enough, the little boy decided to show his stubborn side. Whenever we send Colby to time out, we usually end it by making him say "I'm Sorry {Mommy or Daddy} for {Insert specific offense}" and then we give hugs. Well last night, Colby absolutely REFUSED to tell Sean he was sorry. Sean kept telling him, 'Colby, tell Daddy you are sorry' and Colby (who was still crying) would shake his head and say 'NOOOOOOOO'. And since he wouldn't tell Sean he was sorry, Sean would make him go back and sit facing the corner (still crying at this point). Then a few minutes he would try again. "Colby, please tell Daddy you are sorry and then you can come out of time-out"... "NOOOOOOOO!".. this went ON AND ON and back and forth for THIRTY MINUTES! Poor Sean sat with Colby in time out and tried over and over again to get him to say he was sorry for being a bad boy and that little stubborn boy would just NOT budge. Even when Colby said, 'I'm hungry.. I want some dinner', Sean said, 'Well, tell Daddy you are sorry and then you can go downstairs and eat'..."NOOOOOOOO!" Sean didn't give in.. he stood his ground and eventually Colby gave in and whispered 'Sorry' in Daddy's ear and then all was forgiven...


Sigh... Terrible Twos SUCK ASS

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

haa! and you took a picture!!!!!! you crack me up bel. welcome to my world! i think the twos are AWESOME, tantrums and all, compared to reflux baby!!!!

Anonymous said...

How awesome though that Daddy stood his ground. I promise you that in the end if you are consistent, you won't regret it, and Colby will have learned a great lesson, that his parents are the authority. Great job!!!